Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Ode to the Single Mothers

I think it’s so funny how I totally thought I was going to know what I was doing when this little man got here. I mean why not…I read every book, bought every baby item, taught school (so maybe thought I had a niche with kids)…and then you throw it all out the window the day the stark drops your little bundle off! J I think that Heavenly Father has a special line in Heaven and gives medals to all the mamas out there, and I think Kade is going to make sure I work for mine. The first week of his life we totally thought that he was the easiest baby ever. Well, I forgot to knock on my 2X4. We were for sure that he had Nate’s personality traits; such as calm, laid back, easy going. And then I think he tricked us…he waited for Grandma Davis to go home and Nate to go back to work. He is a crack up..this child is very strong willed and stubborn. He knows what he wants and won’t stop till he gets it. Heaven forbid he doesn't get his way…hmmm, I wonder where he gets these traits from??? :) He has colic and wants to be moving to sleep. He sleeps so good on our nightly walks in his front back. Everyone says that you have to sleep when they are sleeping...so if I could just master sleeping while walking around I would be set. My heart just tears to pieces when he is crying so hard and when he throws up. I feel so bad for him and want to do ANYTHING to make it go away. I sometimes feel like I am doing something wrong and that's why he's screaming. I always swore that I wouldn't do this and that as a parent... and now I will do whatever it takes. It turns me into a frazzled mother because I don't' sleep at all, but this guy has me wrapped around every little finger.

Now I don't want anyone to think that I am complaining about being a mother. I love Kade more than I ever even knew was possible. He makes me so incredibly happy. He is SUCH a blessing to our lives. I just have to journal how it's going so I can one day and look back and laugh what a crazy mother I was! First, I am sure many of you can relate with this with your husbands working, and/or in school. But Nate works nights at the hospital. So before he starts a shift he has to get a nap in so he can last the 13 hour night. When he gets home he has to sleep...he'll wake up just in enough time to shower, eat, and get ready to go back to work. So I maybe see him 2 hours a day. Just enough time for me to take out my frustrations on him. Lucky man! :) I can survive with my two hours of sleep a night just fine, but around 5 o'clock I start wearing down, and that's right when he wakes up to get ready to leave again. I tried to be a good wife last night and make him dinner before he left. While I was feeding Kade, the water boiled over from the corn on the cob and about lit the house on fire...I dropped a pork chop on the ground...old me probably would've laughed so hard...new, anxiety me, says mean things to my husband like it was all his fault. I really don't know how single mothers do it. I give them such mad props. I give props to every parent out there. I know that there are a lot of people that have much harder issues with their kids, and it really could be a lot worse. Tonight has been SO nice because Nate has the evening off. I feel like a normal couple that can spend the evening together and he can help change a diaper. Kade does so much better when his dad is home. I guess it's true that babies read your stress. I just don't want to do anything wrong, or screw up. This is funny coming from a person that can show up to teach school one minute before the bell rings and not have any lessons planned, and can sneak out of meetings, and do homework on the way to class. But other things in my life I am such a perfection-ist with...and I guess this is one of them.

I have to give some shout outs to all those that have helped me keep some sanity...Thanks to the Sager family, Gma Sager and Heidi for coming over some days to watch him so I can rest! Thanks to my family, Gma and Gpa Davis for sending him cute clothes and letting me call all the time to tell funny stories. Thanks to Brandi for our nightly phone calls...she is very supportive even though I know she had it 1,000 times harder than I do. Thanks to all my girlfriends for answering my texts and questions I have. Shout out to my hubster who still loves me even though I am a crazy, parinod mother. Thanks to those that have brought meals so we didn't have to eat pbj's again! I promise when things start to settle down I will be a better friend and return some of this service I have received.
This mister just doesn't want to sleep. I think he just likes to party and is afraid if he sleeps he'll miss out on something fun. I don't have it in me to let him cry it out. We play binki wars all night, he'll finally doze off but then his binki falls out and it wakes him back up again. He'll scream until I get up and put it back in his mouth. I am a sucker and get up every time to put it back in. I have started pumping and feeding him from bottles so that I can know how much he's taking in. This has helped a lot with his reflex because he loves to pig out and he ate too much while he nursed and then he'd projectile barf it all. The nights Nate works is tough because he will scream and while I try to hurry and pump after a feeding. Then I am up trying to wash the pump and get bottles ready while he sleeps...by the time I am done with that it's about time to eat again. It's been worth it though because he does much better with the bottle. I had to buy a bunch of them to see what he liked best.. I found the Dr. Brown ones help him the most.

Such a curious man!

This was just before his blow out. I was feeding him and I swear more poop ended up on my lap than in his diaper...all I could do was laugh my head off. It was some nasty business!

I love this Monkey boy! One of my favorite parts of the day are story time! He sits in his bumbo and loves me to read to him. He really looks at the pictures. He told me that so far his favorite book is, "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" he can't wait to see the movie. I think he wishes he lived in a land that rained food all day :)
I also look forward to our nightly walks. He can't get enough of his snuggli backpack and his moby wrap so he can be bundled. I make up funny songs on our walks that have to dumbest lyrics ever. I just sing whatever comes to mind that rhymes...I love it so much!

Don't you just want to smooch those lips??!! Well, I am hoping next post I have taken a chill pill and am able to relax more. You know when you are a little kid and you think your parents knew everything...you all have to promise to not tell Kade that I don't know what I am doing...but just trying my best!

10 comments:

The Grimmett's said...

I hate when people tell me they know what I am going through, because I feel like every situation is different, so I just want to say that I have a small glimpse into what you are going through! Reading your post reminds me exactly of Gage and every one says that it will start getting better by 3 months, well, he will be 5 months next week and we are still really struggling!
We have tried a few different prescriptions to try to get a handle on the reflex! The one that he is one right now seems to help a little bit but it is definitely not a cure all!
I started pumping because I was absolutley determined to exclusively breastfeed for the first 6 months, but at 3 months we started him on Soy formula, which has also helped a little!
He is a horrible sleeper and sometimes I wish I could just turn his monitor off at night and get more then 3 hours of sleep at a time! I know it sounds bad but it is true!
I admire you for being honest about your expereinces! Because a lot of people put up a false front about how things are going!

Hang in there! I wish I could tell you when it gets better, but I'm still hoping for that myself! :)

Here's to future FULL nights of sleep, and non crying babies!

The Moore Family said...

Little Kade is so stinkin cute. That is to bad that your Dad isn't running. ARe you guys staying with Marcella? WHat days will you be down? Can't wait to see the little one and you guys as well.

Precious Cargo said...

Oh my heck you are too dang funny and guess what I think every mom feels the same way with there first, my case first and second ha ha. It sounds like you are doing jsut great because that way cute baby is still breathing. However you make it through the day is the right way, Keep up the good work and this will pass. GREAT JOB. Such a cute baby!!!

Kenzie said...

He is soooo cute!!!!! i can't believe how big he is. and he can hold his head up already!!! you are doing a great job with kade being your first born. i hope you and nate will get to spend more time together in the future!!!

ScHnEiToWn said...

Michelle, our little girl cried from the second she woke up until she finally just passed out at night. My doc right away knew it was food allergies. Once i went off cows milk and soy she was a COMPLETELY different baby. Might be worth checking into. I know how hard life is with a screaming unhappy baby.

Tim and Brittney said...

Conner had stomach aches when he was little too, he finally had to be put on soy formula. Also, have you tried gripe water or milacon drops? they work instantly to get rid of stomach aches. Newborns can have them and my doctor recommended it to me, and also my sister in law who's baby had colic. Good luck! I'm sure your doing great! I wish I was there to help you so you could take a nap!!

Nick and Amera said...

Wow, I can relate to you when it comes to your husband working graves. My kids ARE NOT the same when NIck is gone to work. Nick will come home, sleep all day, leave for work at 4:30, come home at 7am and repeat the cycle. IT IS HARD HARD HARD HARD HARD!!!!!! I know how you feel. Do you have my number? I am up late so if you need to call me for a venting session or to cry, CALL ME! 801-687-1617. First off, does he have acid refulx? McCoy had it and he SCREAMED all day long but slept like a good baby should. We got him on a dissolvable medication and it worked WONDERS!!! McCoy was Cade's age when he had Reflux..... maybe if you havent already talk to your dr about it, its soooooooooo great if you can find something that helps him-poor little guy! Its hard being a mom Michelle. We love love love it, but we become a slave to it and we forget that we have needs or desires too. Im seeing this on too many blogs right now, women who think they need to "buck up and smile" but its not true....we need to have help, we need to be admired, we need to have time to ourself's, we need to sleep and we need quiet time as well..... maybe try some things that helped us with Coy....
Put him in his car seat then put him on top of the dryer with the dryer running. The hum and soft giggle of the dryer SOOTHES them! Also, another thing that might help, take him outside and lay him on a blanket in the shade, they love change and for some reason being outside works for some babies! Have you tried wrapping him up tight? fold your blanket into a triangle and put his arms down to his side and wrap him up....not just wrap him, but tight so he cant move and they love that! One more idea.... burn a cd of a river of water running and put it on repeat and play it for him....the sound is soothing and its comforting. You could also try outdoor sounds like birds chirpping or something, but I have found water works best for my kids. Colic is hard. Dont be afraid to let him cry it out a little if you need a break. Crying never hurt a baby. You could try a fan in his room too, babies like that sound as well...... seriously Mich, call me anytime!! Love you and he is such a doll I could kiss him!! You are doing great, its hard so dont think you need to be all happy shmappy about it, its hard and though you might laugh at times, you will also want to punch a wall!!! Love you!!

Jeff and Brandi said...

PS...I can't wait to kiss his cheeks. Less than 2 weeks!

The Balls said...

O Mich! We are all just doing the best we can! You are an awesome mom and Kade is so lucky to have you! It will get easier, and he will sleep someday! Hang in there! Love you girly!

Lindsey said...

Mich you are such a good mom because you would do anything for him. Just keep hanging in there, this stage will pass and you'll look back and think if only he could be little again.