Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, November 20, 2009

Any Ideas?


My spoiled child :) It is so funny how a for a few days Kade will nap like a champion, and then somedays you can't even set him down with out him having a scream fest. This was one of those need to be loved on all day days...I do love that Kade loves to be held and cuddled a lot. But I may need a little advice. Do you think it's possible to have a good sleeping baby that is not on a schedule? I read all those books about sleeping habits, and they just don't really work for me because I can't get him to bed the same time every night.  I am playing soccer again. Sometimes I have games 3 times a week and we don't even get home till 11 o'clock. So the lack of schedule may be what is throwing him off? I guess I am trying to teach him to be a flexiable baby! We still have tears every night before bed the second I put him in his crib. I don't know if I am doing it wrong because I have heard that the crying gets less and less over time and eventually they stop. His crying is getting longer and louder almost every night. I do go in there like every 5 min to try to help him calm down without picking him up. I put his binki back in and somtimes it helps a little. Last night I had a late game and he was screaming so long. I tried to distract myslef in the other room by eating leftover Halloween candy. It was dumb Crunch bars and I don't even like them! Talk about emotional eating. I better get him sleeping soon or I am going to look prego forever :)!!! I felf so bad, so I gave in a picked up because he wasn't calming down at all. His poor pj's were wet with sweat from crying so hard. Kade really is such a happy baby when he is rested and full. He is smiling all the time now. He just started laughing and it melts my heart. My cheeks hurt from smiling so much at him. He cracks me up all the time....BUT we really still aren't good sleepers. Once I finally get him down (it's like an hour process every night at least) then he does do great at going back to sleep after the night feeds. Does anyone have any tips to help with naps and bedtime? Do I need to just let him cry a little longer without going in? It's so sad, but I feel I really need to teach him to sleep now because he's happier when he's rested. Also, he is a cat napper and I don't know how to get him to take better naps.

Kade plays with his friend 'Cherry Girl' every morning while I eat breakfast. :) Kade is our little mascot on my Thursday night indoor soccer Co-ed team. I love this team because other players have kids so it's like a big family. We have all played together for the 3 years I've lived here and it's fun to see their kids grow up. Sometimes Nate works Thursday nights so Kade has to sit in the little indoor dugout with the team. They are nice to hold him for me while I am in. Whoever is the sub takes care of all the babies. Last night some of the Mom's who don't play, and are nice to watch the kids,were at New Moon (I was so jealous, but didn't want to miss my game) so the subs had about 5 kids to juggle. I had Liberty and Kade on my knee trying to keep them happy. I just LOVE little Liberty but she was sad the her dad was playing and wanted to be out there with him. Last week Kade has his first header. It was VERY sad. The ball took a deflection and got him on the back of the head/sholder. Luckily it scared him more than anything and didn't get him hard. I had to come out of the game to calm him down and he was just fine. I think he was just trying to get involved in the action. 3 months is a little early for that.

This was our little family recent fishing trip.  Kade wasn't a big fan of fishing qutie yet. He doesn't like the sun in his eyes. We were smart and didn't try camping this time and just made it a day trip. Nate liked having his whole family out with him. We just need to teach Kade not to cry while we are on the boat and scare all the fish away.


Playing with one of his favorite toys. I love that he is so interested in toys now. And suprise, surprise...he can't get enough of stuffed animals. I wonder who forced that upon him :)

Wednesday Night Adventure:
Lets just say Nate told me this riviled among one of my top 10 worst ideas.
Wednesday I was on a reading kick and read my book most of the day. By 4 o'clock I felt so lazy and wanted to get out of the house. I told Nate we should take a walk to Sonic and eat ice cream, and then walk back. He told me that it would be a really long walk and I didn't believe him that it would be that bad. I pushed, and pushed the issue and he agreed to do it if I really wanted to. I got Kade dressed up into is new monkey beenie and shades... and thank goodnes I put that beenie on him because little did I know we wouldn't be back for over 3 and a half hours! It was pitch dark and cold by the time we got to sonic. The sidewalk didn't line the road the whole way there, so we had to push the stroller along the rocks and dirt. It was over 4 miles just to get there! After we ate we sat on the benches for a while because I was dreading walking all the way home. I am a dingle. I guess I need to learn that to realize that I am  not always right......NAAA! Kade got sick of being in the stroller and was starving on the way home. So I carried him in the frontpack (luckily it was under the stroller basket) and Nate pushed the empty stroller. Hopefully we burned that Ice Cream off during our 8 mile walk. We like to go on daily walks to get some fresh air and we really enjoy that time together...but let's just say we probably won't be walking to Sonic anytime soon.



12 comments:

Nick and Amera said...

Mich! wE need to talk! I can give you some advise....and sadly you might not like it! hahah jk. No, schedules are really the key if you want him to sleep well. I know life doenst always allow it though...but babies grow and develop so much better and healthier if they are getting good sleep. I am religious when it comes to sleep and routines cause not only do I love the time I have to myself when they are sleeping, but I love when they get all thier sleep cause they are sooo much happier and thier naps are consisitant too. Its hard though I know...I really do kknow! When babies are OVER TIRED they dont sleep well, they get too stressed out and its hard to get them to relax to go to sleep..... so I have always tried to watch the first sign of being tired....rub of the eyes, yawn...whiney..... and then with int 20 mins of that first sign, I get them to bed. You can call me anytime you need advise! Im no pro though. Your a great mamma and you look amazing!! I love ya and miss you!!! Ya for des!!!! hahahaha. cute pictures love the monkey ears!!! he's getting so big so fast! bitter sweet aint it???

Precious Cargo said...

Michelle, as a mother of a very naughty child from the get go crying might help it might not. Striker is 3 1/2 and still wakes up I know I have told you before, never napped was also a cat napper I wanted to kill myself every day ha ha ha. People will tell you that schedule is the key, I was a natzi about a schedule and it did me NO good, so to Hell with it and live it to the fullest and love that little stinker, the time will pass and he may turn in to and angel I am still waiting for that day........... Cry, Cry everyday if you need to it is so good that you are playing soccer again and I wish we could meet up but trust me you are DOING nothing wrong and you will be great LOVE HIM because as naughty as he is now it will pass I PROMISE you that............Good Luck!!

Jeff and Brandi said...

I don't believe in schedules! Besides you are so NOT a schedule person. You are a sucker and you don't really go in every 5 min you go in every 1 to 2! ha ha! So he will keep crying cuz he knows it'll bring Mama in to save him! They really are too smart. I love you and you don't look prego.

Janell said...

K, I'll put in my 2 cents worth here. My doctor always told me to not make them cry it out until about 6 or 7 months. By then they should be ready to pacify themselves to sleep. So with Seth at 7 months I started letting him cry it out. It took about a month of me feeling like I was going to go nuts, but then he realized bedtime is bedtime and I wasn't going to get him up and he finally fell asleep. But until they're 6 or 7 months, I don't know that you can "spoil" them. Also, I was always one for schedules with my kids, but that's because I am one for schedules. You're not - so you've got to do what feels right for you. And keep in mind that he is tiny and things are just going to be chaotic for a while, but you'll eventually get into a routine you feel good about. Give it some time!!! And then just when you get him into a routine you're both comfortable with, you'll have another one - and the fun starts over!

Andrus Family said...

Mich, since I am all knowing, let me share my advice...I really have none! I think each kid is different, and I've had 2 pretty different kids. Currently, Ty only wants to take his naps in the swing I think due to the movement. However, he sleeps at night in his crib - explain that one to me? Regardless, just start developing a routine you do with him before you put him down to sleep at night...whatever time that may be! We always give Tyler a bath, rub him down with some lotion, feed him his bottle, and then he's realized that he goes to bed after that. Since you don't necessarily put Kade down at the same time every night, just try doing the same thing for him prior to that so he knows what time it is. Tyler's not the greatest napper during the day, but I get a full 8 hours+ at night so I can't complain at all! Hang in there - I promise this is only a phase...just not a very fun one! Can't wait to see you over the holidays.

Rachel said...

I will preface this with: "I DO NOT believe in Letting a baby Cry it out!!"

With that said. You should read Elizabeth Pantley's book The no cry sleep solution. A loit of practical tips.

I think there is a big misconception about babies... They like Routine--- not necessarily schedules. I am not a scheduled person and have never been that way-- it makes me feel crazy to be on a strict schedule. So naturally my babies came to ME for a reason, and I have never done a schedule, when it was just Beckham we sometimes didnt go to bed until 11 or Midnight, because that is what our lives were like. Now with two bed time has gotten earlier (but never the same time every night) I must say, the less you stress about it the less it will be an issue. I have never had sleep issues with my kids, but I think that is because I have never let them.. they sleep when they are tired. period. (I also co-sleep) which is a HUGE help. Co-sleeping to many peoples misconception, does not necessarily mean bed sharing, it means to have the baby sleep in the parents (or mother's) close enough to be soothed it startled in the night.

(I think I am be rambling now)

But I just want to say... follow your instincts, as the Lord for help, follow his guidance through the spirit. Kade is with YOU for a reason. YOU will know and do what is best for HIM.

Also my other piece of sleep advice that has proven true is: NEVER WAKE A SLEEPING BABY, sleep breeds sleep.. Think back to times where you took a long nap in the day and were still tired after you woke up, and even went to bed at a normal time... sleep breeds sleep.

Been thinking about you a lot... we should get together someday...

and remember. You are a GREAT mom!

Tim and Brittney said...

Conner is the exact same way as Kade.. He will sleep through the night for a couple days, then wake up twice the next night. He's 11 months and I have tried all the different methods too.. crying.. not feeding so he knows he cant eat at night.. but I usually end up giving him a bottle and he goes back so sleep instantly. I dont have a strict schedule either, I usually put him to bed around the same time every night, but naps are always different. Conner use to have to be rocked to sleep at night too, but once I stuck to a routine at night, cereal, bath, bottle, book, bed, he started falling asleep on his own at night.. he still would wake up at night but he could calm himself down. I understand your pain though! Conner is almost 1, weighs 24 lbs(they say a baby should sleep through the night at 10 lbs)eats mostly solid foods and is still waking up at night. Will it ever end?!?!

Jeff and Brandi said...

Ps. i can't wait to get my hands on that baby! Christmas can't come soon enough!

l&slittle said...

Mich I know I said before to just let him cry because it worked like a charm for my first. She slept for 10-14 hours a night, yes I said a night. Well lovely number two comes along and I haven't slept more than 4-5 hours in over eight months now. She's a descent napper but I think it's just the babies. He will probably do it when he's ready. Hopefully he's not like Katie's three year old...hahaha! I'm hoping the same for mine, I would KILL for a good nights sleep and by good I mean anything over five hours. I think it's so funny to listen to your indoor soccer story. It sounds like our coed team. We are usually juggling kids on the sideline as well. It's SO fun though. Good luck with the sleep situation, I truly hope it gets better because I feel your pain!

Marisa Jean said...

I have no clue about sleeping routines, but I know my mom always tells me that her babies would adapt to her schedule as long as it was kind of consistent. That's not much--good luck.

And missy, 8 miles for ice cream? You are officially a nut. A walk to my freezer is far enough for me! :)

The Balls said...

You crack me up! 8 MILES! Hello, who really needs a sonic ice cream that bad? you are so funny! As for the sleeping, Cannon was always a good sleeper and he was always pretty flexible too. He would sleep anywhere, in his car seat, on a bed etc. So really I can't help much. Can't wait to see what this baby does! Just do what you fell comfortable with. He will come around, besides it is hard to implement a schedule until they are little older anyway. GOOD LUCK! I am so excited to see you!!!

The McBrides said...

Kade is so lucky, you guys are awsome parents! The stories he will be able to tell someday...8 mile walk...fishing in my car seat...oh and the monkey beanie...I love it! About the sleep, we rocked Ellery every night for over 2 months and now she is good at going down alone. I just think he's still too little, find what works. We did her swing a lot too, she would spend the whole night in that sometimes, that's probably bad, but we all got good sleep!